A collection of English lever pocket watch movements
Various makers, early 19th century and later
In varying states of disrepair comprising sixteen signed gilt full-plate fusee movements each with four columnar pillars including two examples signed G.E. Frodsham, 31 Gracechurch St't, London, numbers 14112 & 14104 and another two signed Dan. Desbois, LONDON, 446 and Finer & Nowland, LONDON, No. 4608 respectively; eleven three-quarter plate movements including an example signed Cha's Frodsham, 84 Strand, LONDON, 01874 and another Henry Frodsham, LIVERPOOL, N. 2715 ; and eight various unsigned movements, together with thirteen Swiss 'bar' movements, seven signed movement dust covers, thirty-three unsigned dust covers and six assorted enamel dials, (qty).
Charles Frodsham was born in 1810 into a family of clockmakers with his grandfather, William originating from Cheshire before moving to London prior to 1781 where he was admitted to the Clockmakers Company. His son, William James, had six sons, four of whom joined the firm of Parkinson and Frodsham in London; whilst Charles, the third born son set-up on his own at Barnes Place, Islington in 1834. He moved to 12 Finsbury Pavement in 1836 then to number 7 in 1838. On the death of the renowned chronometer maker John Roger Arnold in 1843 Charles Frodsham acquired the business and began trading as Arnold, Charles Frodsham from 84 Strand, London. Unusually Frodsham was not admitted to the Clockmakers Company until 1845 but went on to serve as master twice in 1855 and 1862. Charles Frodsham died of liver disease in January 1871 and was succeeded by his son, Harrison Mill Frodsham. The business became Charles Frodsham and Company and in 1884 and then was incorporated as a limited Company in 1893 before relocating to 115 New Bond Street, London two years later where they remained well into the Twentieth Century. George Edward Frodsham was born in 1831 and became involved in the 31 Gracechurch Street arm of the Frodsham family businesses in 1864, subsequently taking it on in 1881 and continued there until 1901. Henry Frodsham was known to have worked between 1835-56. He operated from Castle Street, Liverpool, between 1835-41.
Daniel Desbois was apprenticed to John Johnson at Grays Inn Passage and took over his business from circa 1790 to 1846, dying two years later in 1848.
The partnership of Finer (Thomas) and Nowland is recorded on the British Museum website as working from 5 Hatton Garden, London 1800-05 and then 48 High Street, Holborn, London 1808-39.
All movements are non-working and in dirty condition. Most are incomplete hence are being sold for parts or as involved restoration projects/study pieces.
Condition Report Disclaimer