Y A PAIR OF REGENCY 21-INCH TERRESTRIAL AND CELESTIAL GLOBES
BY J & W CARY, THE CELESTIAL GLOBE DATED 1799, THE TERRESTRIAL GLOBE DATED 1813/1829
The terrestrial with circular cartouche inscribed CARY'S, NEW TERRESTRIAL GLOBE, EXHIBITING, The Tracks and Discoveries made by, CAPTAIN COOK: Also those of CAPTAIN VANCOUVER on the, NORTH WEST COAST OF AMERICA: And M. DE LA PEROUSE, on the COAST of TARTARY. TOGETHER, With every other Improvement collected from, Various Navigators to the present time. LONDON: Made & Sold by J.& W. Cary, Strand, March 1st. 1813. , with further inscription WITH ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS TO 1829 beneath, made up of two sets of eighteen hand-coloured engraved split half-gores, with fully graduated equatorial, ecliptic and four meridians, the Pacific ocean with an analemma, many explorers' tracks and numerous notes and dates, Antarctica with no land shown but Firm Fields and Vast Mountains of Ice 71.10 Highest South Lat of Capt.Cook and other notes, the continents with nation states faintly colour-outlined, showing cities depicted by a small building, towns, rivers, mountains in pictorial relief, marshland, caravan routes and African salt and copper mines, with numerous notes and Canada with no northern coastline; the celestial with conforming roundel inscribed CARY'S, New and Improved, CELESTIAL GLOBE, ON WHICH, Is carefully laid down the whole of the STARS and NEBULÆ, Contained in the ASTRONOMICAL CATALOGUE of the, REVD. Mr. WOLLASTON, F.R.S., Compiled from the Authorities of, FLAMSTEED, DE LA CAILLE, HEVELIUS, MAYER, BRADLEY, HERSCHEL, MASKELYNE &c. With an extensive number from the works of Miss Herschel, The whole adapted to the year 1800, and the, Limits of each Constellation determined, by a boundary line. London: Made & Sold by J.& W. Cary, No. 181 Strand Mar 1 1799 , made up of two sets of eighteen hand-coloured engraved split half-gores laid to the ecliptic poles, the axis through the celestial poles, with fully graduated equatorial, ecliptic with twilight zone and four colures, the constellations depicted by mythical beasts, figures and scientific instruments, with dotted boundaries, the stars shown to nine orders of magnitude with doubles, clusters and nebulæ and labelled with Greek and Roman characters and Arabic numerals denoting their source, with an explanation beneath the cartouche; both spheres with engraved brass hour dial and stamped meridian, the hand-coloured engraved paper horizon ring with compass points and degrees in both directions, Zodiac and calendar scales and wind directions; each supported on a rosewood pedestal stand incorporating four scroll-outline quadrants to the meridian support over lotus carved baluster upright and concave-sided triform base with scroll feet and brass castors
Each 71cm (28ins) wide, 119cm (47ins) high (2)
Provenance: Offered on behalf of a Charitable Foundation
The celebrated Cary family business of scientific instrument and globe makers was established by John Cary at Johnson's Court, Fleet Street, London in 1782 moving to a new address at 'Corner of Arundel Square', Strand the following year. He was primarily an engraver of maps, charts and globes who moved again in 1783 to 188 Strand. By 1791 he had entered into what appeared to be a relatively casual partnership with his brother, William; this partnership lasted until circa 1816 by which time William and John Cary had moved again to 181 Strand before finally settling in 86 St. James in 1820. The following year he was succeeded by his sons, John (II) and George Cary, who continued from the firm's 181 Strand address until 1851/2 when the business was acquired by Henry Gould.